When I think I am off the Mark

I can remember this:

Today I served a vegetable at lunch that my girl does not prefer. I have been going back to the "we eat what we need before we eat what we want, or we eat healthy things before junk food" philosophy. So, I have been taking a harder stand on healthy foods consumed at mealtimes. Which seems weird, but I find I have been raising a very picky eater, and frankly, I don't run a restaurant. All that to say: We had a showdown. I gave options, eat it and be done with it, or sass me some more and then get disciplined and THEN eat the vegetable. Sadly, she decided on door #2. It grieved me to send her away and administer the consequence of her decision. After she woke up from a nap I told her she had to eat the vegetable at the table before she ate her long lost peanut butter sandwich. I waffled and second guessed about whether I did the right thing. I ate my vegetable in front of her to show her we are all in the same boat. But I struggled as balked, and I wondered if I am creating a situation where eating is her power front. But she has a million other choices each day, so it's not as if this is her only option for choices, preferences or self expression. It's that she doesn't want to eat healthy foods and we can't afford for her to keep it up. 

So, as I sat here next to her she ate the carrot and when she was finished she turned to me and said, "Mommy, thank you for teaching me how to chew up the carrot and eat it."

I sighed and kissed her on the cheek. 

Parenting is not what I thought it was going to be. I think that's good for me. I hope it's good for the kids. 

Comments

Amy K. said…
We had the SAME battle tonight with our girl. Over broccoli. We all ate ours. She ended up shut in her room during dinner, and came down and had to eat it anyway.

I have made dinner the meal where "mommy picks all the food". They only ever pick healthy options for breakfast, and lunch is more negotiable. Maybe you could focus on one meal for now, then add the others later (if you're feeling like it's too much at once).

If I let her, I swear my girl would be a vegan. I may be from Oregon, but she's the one who eats like it!
AMY said…
GOOD JOB! You weren't being to hard. That was a valuable teaching moment that you didn't pass up. J does not like rice and green beans. BUT, he eats them because we didn't relent. Keep it up! Yea JJ!

Popular Posts