He is One

Oh, my sweet little son! You are one this very day. With your toothy grin and wide smile you greet me as I come into your room in the morning. Your hair is too long, slightly curly and blonde and you are built like a boy with length and an iron grip with your hands. No one can believe you are only one. I know you are one, it's been a long year. Not that is was very hard, it just went more slowly then your sister's first year of life. 

I can easily remember your birth, since you and I were obviously anxious to see each other. You can hard and fast and I wasn't ready for the pain. Daddy was calm and not surprised to see your reddish-blonde hair. I was surprised, for I expected you to look like Sarah, with dark hair and fine features. No, you are yourself and not like her. You are calm most of the time and you slept a lot as a newborn. You are happy to be around, and you like to laugh when you pull your sister's hair and imitate her saying, "Ouwie!" It's still your favorite game, after all these months. 

You are pulling yourself up on everything you can lately and you like to pull things off shelves and tables. You pulled a cup of water over yourself two days ago, since it was above your head on the dining room table. You just took it on stride and managed to get some of the last of the water from the cup in your mouth, sopping wet that you were. You also have started to point at things with your right hand and tell me you want them. You LOVE to be chased by Daddy around the house and you adore bath time with Sarah. Splashing in the water is a riot to you, even when I chastise you for soaking the bathroom floor. 

You are a joy my son, and I am amazed that I get to raise you into a man. When it's my turn to put you to bed, I pray this prayer, "Lord, I pray he follows you all the days of his life. I pray he obeys you and loves you. I pray he is a leader among men and he humbles himself as that he will become a good father and a good husband."

Happy birthday to my little man.

Comments

Amy K. said…
NO WAY! He's one? Happy Birthday, little man!

Popular Posts